Thursday, February 18, 2010

Quick Dinner




Today is Thursday, which means church choir. This leaves me one solid hour between the second I walk in the door from work until the moment I have to leave for rehearsal. I usually try to make this night a left-over meal, but figured in the spirit of the project, I would try to make a delicious meal as quickly as possible. I turned to "Healthy Recipes," one of the apps on my Droid (beloved Gizmo... you have so much to offer and I barely know how to work you!). I ended up attempting "Authentic Indian Chicken Curry," but basically only used the ingredients that I had at home, so we'll call this Bastardized Indian Chicken Curry Stir-Fry Thing. Below is a close approximation of what I made, I was kind of a mess with the spices.

1.5 Lbs of Chicken, cut into cubes about 1" thick
Half of a big yellow onion, diced into small pieces... ma non troppo! You want them to be about the same size as the tomatoes.
1 can of diced tomatoes
2 Tbs EVOO
1 Tbs Fresh grated Ginger
4 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
2 tsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon (actually, I just sprinkled a bunch in the pan.. I have no clue how much it was)

Fallible Note: I'm unfortunately not too sure what my chicken was before it became my dinner... It's from Gene's Sausage Shop so I'm telling myself it lived a slightly better life than the pre-wrapped crap from Jewel, but I have no way of knowing this... much more research is needed!

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet (or a wok), over medium heat. Brown the onions, then add the garlic, cumin, curry, red pepper, and cinnamon. Then toss in your ginger, diced tomatoes, salt, and finally the chicken. (For the sake of time, I actually just kind of threw everything in...) Cook, stirring often, until the chicken is done.

The real recipe (which calls for many more ingredients....) suggests serving this over rice, and I know that would be delicious. I didn't have any rice so I just threw it in a pita and it was wonderful. Sloppy, but wonderful.

This literally took 30 minutes to make... I walked in my door at 5:58 and was eating at 6:32. Suck on that, RR!


This picture is not quite amazing... you'll have to take my word on its spicy deliciousness.

2 comments:

Emily Y. said...

Nice! Fast recipes are not my strong point - I'm going to need help in this department. I was off last night from church, but we still didn't eat until 9 pm...

Suzanne said...

this was soooooooo good. who doesn't love coming home to a delicious, spice-filled curry delight? it certainly made my night wonderful!